Thursday, March 8, 2012

Outside the Comfort Zone

Homebody.  Shy.  Introverted.  I'd definitely use all of these words to describe myself.  When given a day off (usually Mother's Day when Ryan takes the kids over to his mother's house for the day), I like to lounge around at home in some comfortable clothes.  I might watch a snooty British movie or read a book.  I might give myself a pedicure.  I usually take a nap.  But unlike a lot of women, I won't use my "day off" to go shopping with a girlfriend or pay someone else to paint my toenails.  I'd rather be at home, by myself, in the quiet.

So when I scheduled a painting party at our house last month, Ryan was completely shocked.  It's one thing for me to host a book club meeting since I like to read, but for me to invite a bunch of people over to paint (something I don't usually do).....well, that's just weird.

One of my book club friends teaches painting and in January, she posted pictures of painted wine glasses on her Facebook page.  They were absolutely adorable and I thought it would be nice to paint some for my mom for Mother's Day.  So I invited several people to come over to learn how to paint wineglasses.   I invited my sweet next door neighbor and members of both of my book clubs, even the woman who called Santa un-Christian.  Sometimes it's really hard to be nice to people you don't like, but I try.  I really do.

So after some yummy desserts and a couple of glasses of wine to help us relax, we got started.  Two hours later, I was left with the following:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(My favorite part - the inside of the glass)

Photobucket
(The stem)


They don't look as pretty as the ones my friend posted on Facebook, but I think they look pretty good.  And I don't know that I'll give them to my mom after all, just because I think I could do a better job, but I think they're pretty darn cute.

And....I stepped outside my comfort zone, which is a huge deal for me.  It was obviously a huge deal for my kids, too, because they were just as shocked as Ryan, especially Sydney.  But I think it's important for my kids to see me do things that are out of my comfort zone so that they won't be afraid to try something new and take chances.  After all, aren't most of life's regrets chances that were not taken?

Another positive to come out of all of this is that I think Sydney has decided to have a painting party of her own for her upcoming birthday party.  Of course, I don't think she'll be painting wine glasses (after all, we live in Texas, not France), but I can't wait to see what a group of giggly nine year old girls will paint.  I'll be sure to post pictures of the pint-sized painting party, too.  If I can paint something halfway cute, I know those girls can!

4 comments:

  1. Those are so cute!! And I love the concept of modeling how to get outside of one's comfort zone for the kids. I try to do this too. Working out at the gym was a big step for me, for example- I didn't think of myself as that kind of person. I was a taking walks around the neighborhood kind of person, and that was it. But it wasn't happening often enough, and it wasn't building enough muscle to keep my weak knees in fighting shape, and so I took the plunge and dared to use weight machines in a- gasp!- public venue.
    I mean, now I don't go, since I'm not supposed to do actual working out during my pregnancies, but you know. Back in the day! And I will do it again, darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those!! What a neat idea too....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. "After all, aren't most of life's regrets chances not taken" - truer words were never spoken. You are much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tien said...

    I love the wine glasses, esp the inside, which is so darn clever!

    My favorite professor at UH stresses how important it is to get outside your comfort zone. I do it as much as possible and never regret it.

    And, YAY to you for being a bigger person and inviting the person who doesn't like Santa Claus! You are teaching your children more than stepping outside their comfort zones!!

    ReplyDelete