Monday, October 24, 2005

The Joys of Fall

I decided over the weekend that fall is my favorite time of year. You'd think that after 29 years of witnessing the changing seasons I would have decided upon my favorite one by now, but I guess it just took that long to make up my mind.

Of course, the cooler weather is a definite plus. Ryan pointed out that the temperatures in spring are similar, but the cooler temperatures and low humidity of fall are so refreshing after four months of blistering Houston heat. We can finally turn off the air and open the windows to enjoy the nice day. We can spend more than five minutes outside, either working in the yard or riding our bikes. We took Sydney to the park this weekend and none of us broke a sweat in the hour we were there. That hasn't happened since March.

The upcoming holidays add to it as well. Sneaking pieces of Halloween candy during Sydney's nap time and getting her fairy princess costume together combined with the beginnings of Christmas shopping keep me in a perpetual good mood. Add pumpkin carving and several family birthdays to the mix and you've got three months of unbridled fun.

Perhaps my favorite thing about fall is the food. Thanks to the internet, I've found great recipes for chocolate chip pumpkin bread, cranberry pumpkin bread, eggplant soup, marbled pumpkin cheesecake and so many others. No wonder I usually put on five pounds between Columbus Day and New Year's!

Many people use the week between Christmas and New Year's to reflect on the previous year, but I like to do it during the fall. My good mood keeps me from getting too depressed about sad times or things that didn't go as planned. If only I could bottle the feeling and keep it year round.

Happy fall, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment