Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Another brag.....

The pace at which a child builds his/her vocabulary is amazing. As I listened to Sydney say her bedtime prayer this evening, I thought back to her verbal skills from this time last year.

My Valentine's gift from her last year was the word "Mommy." I cried because I had been waiting for months to hear it. We were contemplating speech therapy because she was so behind others her age in her verbal skills. She'd already said "Daddy" and "WalMart" and even "Home Depot." But she had not said "Mommy."

This Valentine's she said, "I love you, Mommy," and now, not only is she saying "Mommy" non-stop, she is speaking in long sentences. It's truly amazing.

Her bedtime prayer is fairly long, yet she's been saying it for a month now: "Dear God, Thank you so much for baby Jesus, thank you so much for ______________ " (dinner, cookies, new shoes, etc.).

She sings entire songs (over and over and over) like "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star", the "ABC's" and a few songs she learned at school or church. My favorites are:

"There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in the week:
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Today is ______________."

"How's the weather like today, like today, like today?
How's the weather like today? It's _______________ outside"

"God loves me. God loves me.
I'm so happy, I'm so happy,
God loves me."


In one year's time, she went from saying one word at a time to speaking in long sentences. Can you imagine how smart adults would be if we could increase our brain power and vocabularies in such exponential proportions each year? Children are truly amazing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment