Saturday, March 25, 2006

30 - Big Deal

Well, I turned 30 yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm convinced that it was easier for me than Ryan or some friends of mine because I benefited from their experiences with the big 3-0.

My friend Tory turned 30 about six weeks ago and took me to the Chocolate Bar for an early b-day present last weekend. Tory is a friend from college who went on to law school, became a JAG attorney with the army and is now clerking for a federal judge here in Houston. She's traveled the world, having gone to four continents and so many countries I've lost count.

Even after all of her successes, she revealed that she mourns her twenties for all of the things that she has NOT accomplished, such as getting married, buying a house and having children. In short, she wants what I have and I, in turn, want what she has had.

I think the scary thing about hitting a big number in birthday years is the reflection that accompanies it. While I'm proud of what I accomplished during my twenties (graduating college, getting a job, getting married, buying a house, having a child) I can't help but think of missed opportunities. I will forever regret not traveling abroad while in college; I had chances to go to France and Israel and turned them down out of fear. I considered law school but opted for starting a job right out of undergrad in order to get my life going; now that I know that teaching is not for me, I really regret that decision.

For me, turning 30 was like a really intense New Year's Eve - a lot of reflection, but also some enthusiasm for what's to come. Perhaps we'll move into a bigger house, maybe we'll have more children and I might even make a huge career change. Who knows.....it's the uncertainty that makes it so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment