Monday, March 6, 2006

Farewell Whole Milk

At Sydney's 2-year check-up last May, I was informed that she was underweight for her age. We were advised to keep her on whole milk for another year in order to fatten her up. I thought she looked fine and wasn't worried because she is also short for her age (surprise, surprise), but what do I know....I'm just her mother.

Today, I took Sydney in because she's had a cough for a few weeks. In addition to a prescription for some antibiotics, her pediatrician weighed her. She now weighs a whopping 28 pounds, 5 ounces. That's enough to get her into the 25th percentile for her age and enough to take her off whole milk.

So finally, Sydney can drink skim milk with the two of us and I can stop buying two different kinds of milk during each grocery shopping trip. I have no idea what we'll do with our extra 60 cents each week (whole costs that much more than skim). But at least I can rest easy knowing that Sydney won't be one of those obese pre-schoolers featured in overblown media reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment