Monday, February 5, 2007

How They Really Determined There Were 24 Hours in One Day

I don't know much about the history of how the system of hours, minutes and seconds was developed. Did someone sit there and start counting "One, one thousand, two, one thousand...." from one sunrise to the next? Really, who knows? But I have a theory:

A really smart woman used her baby to determine how time should be broken into increments. I don't remember Sydney being as regimented, but you can literally set a clock by Liam's schedule. During the day, he is hungry every three hours. Exactly. To the minute. And he takes 30 minute naps. Exactly. To the minute.

I can tell you what time it is any given point during the day based on Liam's mood, because really, isn't everyone's mood tied to how hungry/sleepy they are?. And while it's nice to be able to predict when he's going to want to eat, it is NOT fun dealing with a child who will only sleep for 30 minutes at a time. I get halfway through a task when he wakes up and cries. And then he's cranky for quite a while afterward because he's still tired (but won't sleep).

Any ideas on how to get a baby to sleep longer? Really. I'm open to any ideas you might have because if he doesn't start taking real naps soon, I'm going to go crazy. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment