Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Is Summer Almost Over?

The heat. Y'all, it's killing me.

I know, I know....I live in South Texas...I should be used to it, right? Well, last week, the temperature gauge in my van looked like this:

Photobucket

And it was easily ten degrees warmer than that inside the van where my three children were wilting in their car seats. Needless to say, we've been watching a lot of TV and reading lots of books the last couple of weeks. If we go to the park or play outside, we have to do it before 9 am, otherwise, it's already 95 degrees and scorching. Not fun.

We did get away for a few days to my parents' time share near San Antonio for a weekend of swimming, splashing and fun. It was hot there, too, but it was a dry heat, which any Texan can tell you is much more tolerable than our coastal humid heat.

Despite the look on his face, Evan had fun crawling from the "beach" into the water:

Photobucket


Liam had fun splashing around all by himself thanks to his nifty life jacket:

Photobucket

Photobucket


All three of my boys enjoyed the double tubes floating in the lazy river:

Photobucket


Or just hanging out with Granddad in a single tube:

Photobucket


I don't have any good pictures of Sydney because she wouldn't be still long enough for me to take her picture! That girl swam so much I thought she was going to turn into a mermaid right there in San Antonio.

All three of the kids had a great time, so much so that naps were missed and bedtimes coincided more with the setting of the sun rather than the clock. Poor Evan looked like this before we reached the highway for our trip home (it was only a mile or so):

Photobucket


In case you can't tell, the little guy got so much sun that he is tan. I have a tanned baby. I'm pretty sure the pediatrician and any dermatologist would slap me for that one.

We came home from the time share and jumped right into Bible School, which was an adventure unto itself. My sister and I taught twelve first graders in a room about the size of my dining room. Out of the 50 or so first graders, we got stuck with the most obnoxious boy. Turns out he's a preacher's kid (surprise, surprise) and his parents were dropping him off at various Bible Schools all over The Land of Fruit this summer. Guess they didn't want to deal with him, either. Overall, he was a sweet boy, even if he exposed himself in the sanctuary of all places. See? An adventure unto itself.

Anyway, we're still trying to keep cool. We're hoping the heat wave (and drought) will end soon. Otherwise, we'll be cooking our Fourth of July ribs and chicken in the oven rather than on the grill outside.

And forget about the town's fireworks display. It's at 9 pm and it's still 95 degrees outside that late at night. Guess we'll just have to watch them on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment