Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Angel on my Shoulder

On the evening of my senior prom (many, many years ago), a tornado swept through my little hometown. I left the hairdresser's about 4:30 and made my way home to get dressed and then head to a friend's house to climb into the limo we'd rented for the evening (along with eight other people - limos aren't all that expensive when you split them 10 ways!).

The sky was an icky yellow-green color and the wind was insane.  My little car rocked back and forth with each wind gust and I began to freak out a bit.  Tree branches were flying through the air and just as I was about to make a turn, a tree fell right in front of my car and blocked the only road into the neighborhood.  This was before cell phones (yes, I'm that old) so I jumped out of the car and ran to the nearest house.  The woman who answered the door took one look at me, a hysterical teenage girl with a prom-ready hairdo, gave me a hug and let me use her phone.  I called home, told my mom what happened and that I couldn't get home because of the tree.  Luckily, I grew up in the kind of town where most men drive pickups and carry chains and not long after, two men used their trucks and chains to move the tree off the road and I sped home.

My mom gave me the biggest hug of my life and said, "The angels were looking out for you today, weren't they?"

Indeed they were.  Turns out that I drove right through the tornado.  It tore a path right along the road I was on and two people died in the trailer park that I had to drive past to get to my neighborhood.

The angels have been watching out for me ever since, too.  Whether it was a close call with another car on the road or defying the odds when my doctor said I would most likely miscarry Liam, the angels have been sitting on my shoulder.

Just last week, they did it again.

After Ryan spent two evenings in a row watching some Netflix-streamed documentaries (I was at my book club meetings), he got all worked up over what he'd watched.  He was so mad about what he'd seen, he had a really hard time sleeping.

About 2 am, I was in a deep sleep when a little voice inside my head said, "Wake up.  Wake up now!"  I made myself wake up and instead of hearing what I expected which was Liam coughing (he had pneumonia last week), I heard absolutely nothing.  Ryan had stopped breathing.

I put my hand on his arm and he woke up gasping for air.  He'd had one of his apnea episodes.

I spent the rest of the night just dozing while I listened to him breathe, cursing documentary makers the entire time.  And this past Sunday when we watched the Oscars and he seemed interested in the documentary that won the Academy Award, I refused to add it to our Netflix queue after he asked me to do so.

So yeah, the angels are still watching out for me and I hope they continue to do so; I can't imagine what life would be like without them.

Have you ever had a guardian angel moment?

4 comments:

  1. I can't say that I have, but I know my mom has had a few. I've had moments of knowing beyond a shadow of doubt that I should trust my instincts, though, and whether that's faith or just biological instinct I can't say for sure. Like, even though we weren't technically supposed to start trying to conceive yet (I still had some homeopathic stuff we were supposed to try for a few months to balance my hormones) I just KNEW, last January, that that was the cycle I was supposed to get pregnant on. And I did. And now we have Jamie.
    And I am SO glad Ryan is ok. Man, I bet you get worse sleep than I do these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that night of our prom! Angels indeed :) I sure hope they figure out what is going on with Ryan and y'all can get some sleep!
    I wrote my own angels post a while back. I like to think that we have someone looking out for us. Most of mine tend to be driving related. I keep a small angel pin in my sun visor and I always touch it when I want to thank my angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tien said...

    What amazing stories. I feel like you have a whole army of angels watching over you, and I am so glad for it!

    I have had a guardian angel moment, but didn't realize it at the time. One day while driving home from downtown, a person crossed the street when he shouldn't have and I had to slow down. Just then a car ran a read light and would have smashed right into me had I not had slowed down. I had Sarai in the car with me at the time and it the event had left me shaking. I told the story to my boss the next day, and he said, "Your guardian angel was crossing the street."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tien said...

    BTW, I forgot to add how scary it is to wake up and find Ryan not breathing. I am not sure I would be able to go to sleep again, except I'm sure pure exhaustion would eventually set in...

    ReplyDelete