Tuesday, January 3, 2006

New Year's Epiphany

While thinking about my "New Year's Resolutions" I came to the inevitable conclusion that nothing worth anything in life is easy. Of course, I've heard some version of this idea my entire life, but it really hit home as I made a mental note of changes I'd like to make this coming year.

Just like millions of other people, losing weight is my number one goal. There are countless ways to shed the pounds as evidenced by the multitude of diet pills, exercise machines and health clubs being advertised this time of year. However, after talking with a friend who recently lost quite a bit of weight herself, I decided to tackle my issue the old fashioned way: eat less, exercise more. It's not as easy as taking a magic pill or ordering all of my meals from some diet service, but I'm hoping that the lifestyle change it brings about will help me keep the weight off permanently, rather than ballooning back up once the magic pills run out.

My second goal is to read more and watch less television. I've already checked out several books from the library and plan to keep it up throughout the year. I'd like to read a book a week and with any luck, I'll be a very well-read person by the end of 2006. Turning off the television is another issue in itself. I love watching TV, but I'd like to set an example for Sydney that there are plenty of fun things in life that have nothing to do with a TV or a DVD player.

My last goal is to get our yard looking better. I've despised yard work since childhood, but every time I pull into the driveway I cringe. Just a few solid hours a week could get it looking healthy and green. So as much as I dislike it, I'll be out there raking, pulling weeds and watering our parched plants. It's not my idea of fun, but at least it will contribute to my first goal of the new year.

None of these goals is easy, but if I succeed at them, the effort will definitely be worth it in the end. Perhaps this time next year I can report that I've lost at least 10 pounds, read at least 52 books and made our yard look better than the ones manicured by local yard crews. Keep your fingers crossed - I know I am!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment