Monday, December 8, 2008

Girls vs. Boys

Parenting truly is an adventure. Something new happens every day and while most of it makes me laugh, a lot of it amazes me as well. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the differences between boys and girls.

Sydney is all girl. She loves having long hair and likes for me to braid it and use pretty pigtails and barrettes to get it out of her face. She's very particular about how she wants her hair each morning. She wants to wear a dress or skirt every single day. No matter what the temperature is outside, she asks to wear a skirt and cries when we tell her no. (Thirty six degrees means pants. Period.) Her closet is full of pink and purple clothes; if she had her way, there would be nothing but pink in there. And while she likes having her toenails painted, she really prefers a full pedicure (from me - not from a salon, but only because she's never been to a salon). If my grandmother were still alive, she would call Sydney "Miss Priss".

Liam, on the other hand, is all boy. He gets all excited when he sees me picking up all the toys strewn across the living room and runs to get his favorite toy: the vacuum. He wants to pull the cord out, plug it in, turn it on, work it and worst of all, he wants to ride it. He is obsessed with electrical outlets and has figured out how to pull out the plastic safety plugs we have in them. I caught him unplugging the Christmas tree this morning and trying to plug in the blender (he pulled it out of the pantry when I wasn't looking). He's also figured out how to open up the cabinets despite the safety locks we have on them. And taking him grocery shopping is almost more than I can handle. Last week, he turned around just enough to grab a box of baking chocolate and while I was searching the shelves for something, he opened the box, unwrapped a square of it and ate some. For those of you who will be getting some of my homemade fudge, I promise that I didn't use that square of chocolate. He is mischievous beyond belief, but knows to crack a smile when he's about to get in deep trouble because I just can't resist his goofy grin. I just know he's going to be the death of me.

I haven't figured out Evan's personality just yet. Perhaps he'll be just as sly as Liam and then I'll really be in trouble. Actually, I think Sydney will be in even more trouble. But, he could be just as sweet as Sydney (hopefully without the prissy parts). Who knows. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment