Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Silent Night

Do you hear what I hear?

It’s a silent night in the bleak midwinter. It is 9 pm and no one is crying or screaming. No one is arguing or fighting. Everything is still, still, still. Every child in my house is asleep.

And the best part is every child in my house will stay asleep until 5 am or so. That’s right, all three of my children now sleep through the night.

I repeat, all three children now sleep through the night.

The first evening when it came upon a midnight clear and Evan hadn’t fussed one bit, I thought, “What child is this?”

The next night when I didn’t even have to sing (a) lullaby, I thought, “Hallelujah! Tomorrow shall be my dancing day!”

By the third morning of a good night’s sleep, I was so excited that I wanted to proclaim my joy to the world, but I thought that I might jinx myself. Instead, I figured out a way to hang up our Christmas cards just to deck the halls a bit.

On the fourth morning when it was well past three a clock in the morning and the sun began to rise out of the east, I actually had to wake, o wake my sleeping baby boy.

We are now on day five of sleeping entirely through the night and I feel confident enough about the situation that I could not only go tell it on the mountain, but shout it from the mountain top. It’s as if all the angels from the realms of glory are calling down to us, “God rest ye merry gentlepeople.”

Ah, rest. I can finally get some real rest.


*Any guesses as to how many Christmas carols are included in this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment