Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Baby Steps

Remember how frustrated I was when I tried to get Liam to say the words "baby" and "mommy"? Well, I'm frustrated no more because he is now saying both of them quite clearly. You should have seen the smile on my face when he finally called me "Mommy" and not "Nonny." I made him say it no less than a hundred times that day.

We're now working on words that start with "w" and "th". I never realized how difficult it can be to make those particular sounds. And don't get me started on words that start with "st", "sk" or "tr". Pretty impossible for a kid who just now figured out "m" and "b".

He's getting better at combining words to make phrases and sentences, too. He's still leaving out articles ("a", "the", etc.), but we're finally able to have little conversations with him. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to get a peek into the thought processes of a two year old!

A couple of days ago, Ryan took him and Sydney to the pool. When I asked Liam what he did at the pool, he told me he peed in it. I cracked up laughing - he is such a boy!

He is still way behind his peers and I know he'll need more speech therapy once his third birthday rolls around in a couple of months, but he's improving a bit each day and I couldn't be happier. Hopefully, great strides in language will lead to great strides in potty training. One can hope, right?

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! That's so exciting when they can start really communicating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he's doing so well. That is great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome and a tribute to all of your hard work! - Tien

    ReplyDelete