Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NYC Lessons

I'm back from my whirlwind trip to NYC and I had an absolute blast. I'll post an itinerary and pictures of all the nerdy grown-up, intellectual things I did once I load the pictures off the camera, but for now, I'll leave you with my lessons learned.

* Traveling alone is not as bad as I thought it would be. I rode the subway, took a cab and flew home all by myself. These things may not seem like a big deal to you, but to me, Miss Nervous Scaredy-Pants, they are huge.

* The worst part about riding the subway is coming up from the tracks and having absolutely no idea where you are or in what direction to walk. ("Am I on Lexington or 42nd? And if it's Lexington, which direction do I go?")

* Meter maids are really nice and will gladly point you in the right direction when you're lost. Not that I would know about that. :)

* The clock in the middle of Grand Central Station is apparently the place to meet people. There are always a dozen or so people standing around it waiting for someone. I observed a blind date meet-up while I was standing there waiting for Ryan one evening.

* While I felt a little weird being pretty much the only person in NYC wearing a red coat (everyone there wears black coats), it made it a lot easier for Ryan to spot me in Grand Central Station.

* Only foreigners are interested in touring the United Nations. Of the 25 people in my tour group, I was the only American.

* There must not have been anyone in France on Tuesday because they were ALL at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

* I must have looked pretty confident coming off the subway and walking toward my destination because I actually had someone ask little old me where the Met was. And I knew! And pointed them in the right direction!

* It is not a good sign when your cab driver relies a little too heavily on his talking GPS. It's also not a good sign when he asks you which airport terminal you need to go to. Umm....hello? I told you the airline - aren't you supposed to know which airlines go to which terminal or at least be able to read the signs differentiating between the terminals?

* My parents are absolute saints for watching the kids for four straight days. I think they have a whole new appreciation for what I do all day.

* The four day break from my hectic life was really rejuvenating. Somehow I've got to make this sort of trip an annual thing!

4 comments:

  1. What fun, Jana! I am many weeks behind on reading blogs!! Glad you survived your trip!

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the pictures and I am in awe of your bravery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you (and Flat Stanley) had an awesome time. I totally know what you mean about getting out of the subway and wondering where you are exactly and which way is north/south or west/east! --Tien

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to go to NYC someday. I'll have to call you and see if you'll come be my tour guide. ;)

    ReplyDelete