Sunday, May 11, 2008

Birthday Madness

I know everyone else is doing touching, poignant posts about Mother's Day today, but I'm going to go against the grain and not do a post about Mother's Day. Don't get me wrong - I love my mom and I love being a mom, but we just have too much going on this time of year for Mother's Day to be the center of attention.

For instance, yesterday was Sydney's 5th birthday party. A simple get-together at the park turned into a full blown party with about 50 people showing up to play, eat pizza and whack a pinata.

Here's Sydney blowing out the candles on her cookie cake (although the wind pretty much took care of that for her):

Photobucket


Here she is taking a whack at the Princess Aurora pinata, which amazingly did not seem to traumatize anyone at the party:

Photobucket


Ever seen the movie "Parenthood"? Remember the part with the pinata that wouldn't break and Steve Martin had to pull out a saw to get it open? That was almost us. After each party goer had several turns of three whacks each, Ryan had to do the honors with four huge hits to break it open:

Photobucket


Mayhem and chaos ensued once it was opened. You've never seen so many determined little kids! Each party goer went home with a bagful of candy. I'm sure the parents just love us for it, but hey, it made my life a lot easier since I didn't have to put together goodie bags.

After the party, our families came over to the house to open presents. Ryan and I got her one of these dolls and our parents bought outfits for it. My sister got her a bag to hold all of the doll clothes. She has spent the last 24 hours changing the doll's clothes and carrying around the satchel of outfits. Despite the fake smile in the picture, she really likes the doll:

Photobucket


And what did Liam do during the festivities? Well, he played with the balloons (the boy is obsessed with balloons):

Photobucket


He played in the water fountain and was so tired from all the playing that he lounged for a while:

Photobucket


He is STILL playing with the balloons today. Who knew that he didn't need five million toys? Give the boy a balloon and he's occupied for hours.


Liam also turned 18 months old over the weekend. He is such a big boy now! His favorite word is "uh oh" and he says it all the time. Here he is playing in the sandbox on Friday (the day he turned 18 months and yes, it's blue sand):

Photobucket


Baby news: We're still set for May 15th, although my uterus apparently didn't get the memo because I've been having some pretty serious contractions the last few days. The combination of the contractions and the horrible carpal tunnel in my hands has had me pretty grumpy the last several days, but now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm in a better mood. Speaking of baby news, any guesses on the gender based on my belly?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I get a lot of "boy" guesses when we're out and about (and Ryan thinks it's a boy, too), but I get quite a few "girl" guesses, too. Personally, I have no guesses either way. Guess we'll find out in a few days!


House news: We are set to close on our house in the Land of Fruit on June 5th (as if we don't have enough going on around here). It's a one story, four bedroom, 2 bath home on a really quiet street. It's zoned to a great school and there's a fabulous deck in the backyard. We're very excited and we're keeping our fingers crossed that the inspection goes well this week.


Whew! I think that's it for now. I'll be posting more this week before the baby arrives (unless he/she decides to make an early appearance) and I'll be sure to have Ryan post the big baby news (and pictures) sometime on Thursday.

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment