Monday, March 15, 2010

Three Cheers for 3D

Before this past weekend, I hadn't seen a movie in 3D in probably 25 years. From what I remember, the visual effects were just okay so my opinion of them was not too high. And then Ryan and I went to see "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D and all I can say is wow.

The graphics are just amazing and the colors are more vivid than anything I've ever seen before. I really did have the urge to reach out and touch the graphics as they "came out of the screen." I generally like Tim Burton's movies and while this one had a style similar to his other movies, this one went above and beyond. Think "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on steroids. I've never gone to see a movie twice while it was in the theaters, but I'd be willing to go see this one again and that's saying a lot coming from a person who does not like to spend much money on entertainment.

I can easily see how 3D will become the new norm when it comes to films, especially animated and/or action films. Instead of wearing the cheap, theater-provided 3D glasses, everyone will have their own pair that they take with them to the movie theater and like airplanes, theaters will have to provide barf bags in the seat pockets for their more sensitive patrons. (I actually found myself getting a bit nauseous from all of the graphics, but closing my eyes for a minute or so thankfully made me feel better.)

Ryan was just as impressed with the film (and the technology) as I was. He's already excited about the new 3D Tron movie that is set to come out in December. And he and I both agree that when we're ready to buy a large flat screen TV (yes, we're aware that we're the only people left in America without one), we'll actually consider getting one of the new 3D capable ones because we can see this technology making its way into personal homes.

So if you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend "Alice in Wonderland" for anyone over the age of 10. It's a bit scary, especially toward the end, so you probably don't want to take the little ones, but it's definitely worth spending the money on if you're looking for two full hours of fascinating entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. I do want to see this and I was disappointed to see it only got 1 1/2 stars. But I never think like the critics do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on the movie, I rather hear how a movie is from people I know instead of an over-paid critic. Like you, I have been leary of 3D based on the past. Thanks for going out on the limb for me on this one.
    -DCG

    ReplyDelete