Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sydney

I haven't written about Sydney lately and I think it's about time. It's not that I don't like her or anything (although I could live without the recent whininess and attitude), it's just that she is at school 9 hours each day and I just don't have the opportunity to spend as much time with her as I used to.

Anyway, I've discovered a new tool to add to my arsenal of disciplinary weapons: threatening to talk to her teachers.

First, she left half of her lunch in her thermos last week and when I asked her why she didn't eat it all, I got a teenager's response: "I don't know" and "I didn't have time." So I asked her what her teacher would say if I talked to her about the amount of time they got at lunch. Hysterics ensued. I never did talk to her teacher, but she's eaten her lunch everyday since.

Second, she bragged that she no longer has to have 'rest time' while at school. Consequently, she has been a royal pain in the tookus from about 6 pm onward (bedtime is at 7:30) due to lack of sleep. After a huge meltdown over nothing last night, I threatened to tell her teacher that Sydney still needed 'rest time'. More hysterics ensued and a promise to be nicer followed.

I am so excited about this new weapon, but I know I can't overuse it or it loses all meaning. I hope I can control myself.

Also, Sydney is quite excited about her new, pink room. (I promise to post pictures once her furniture is in place.) We asked her if she was going to miss sharing a room with Liam since they've bunked together since January. She said no, but I have a feeling that she will.

Last night, they played some kind of little game with one another for an hour before falling asleep. I have no idea what it was, but it involved a lot of giggling from both of them and some unidentifiable thumping sounds. They even paged Ryan at the same time: while she sang "Dad-dy, Dad-dy" over and over, Liam contributed "Da-da, Da-da" to the duet in a similar sing-song fashion. Adorable. I'm going to miss hearing that.

At five years old, she's growing up too fast for me. She's starting to phase out all of the princessy things that she's obsessed over for the past 2.5 years and is only two months from starting kindergarten.

Makes me a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment