Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blahs

I've had the blogging blahs lately. Several posts have been floating around in my head, but I haven't had the energy or motivation to do anything with them. Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's because I've been busy finishing books for my book clubs. Or maybe it's because I'm back to eating healthy to lose those last seven stubborn baby weight pounds and the lack of flavorful food is stifling my creativity.

I thought about writing about how the boys and I have been sick this past week. But everyone else seems to be sick, too, and there's no point complaining about sore throats and runny noses when everyone else has them, too. Plus, I didn't want to gross you all out by discussing Evan's nose that is currently doubling as a snot faucet or Liam's cough that is so violent that it makes him vomit up orange juice smoothie all over my off-white carpet.

Then there's the conversation that Sydney and I had at the dinner table last week. It was a continuation of the birds and bees conversation from last October. She asked me just exactly how God put babies into mommies' tummies. Of course, Ryan was at band practice so I got to field the question all by myself while trying to eat my dinner, feed Evan his dinner and keep Liam from throwing his across the table. She came up with the answer of "magic" which I know is not exactly truthful, but she seemed satisfied and I was too tired to try to deal with the boys and come up with an another answer. Rest assured, she'll get more of the truth as she grows older, but she is only five years old and there's no point confusing her with more than she currently wants to know. She went on to ask how the first person got on earth if there was no mommy to carry him in her tummy. I thought that was pretty profound for a kindergartner. After Liam went to bed, she and I read the Creation story out of her study Bible and she enjoyed it so much that we've been reading her Bible to her each night before bed. She was quite excited when this past Sunday's sermon was on the Creation story as well. For a minute there I became paranoid and thought our church's minister was spying on us or something.

I also thought about telling you how stupid I am for being duped by author William Goldman. See, Santa brought me the 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride. Having never read the book, I devoured the forward and then became convinced that Florin was a real place (like many of the small European provinces/principalities that were absorbed by larger, more powerful kingdoms). I was all ready to throw out my dream of spending a week on Santorini so that we could go to the Morgenstern Museum to see Buttercup's wedding dress and Inigo's sword. After doing some googling because I just knew it couldn't be true, I found out that the entire plot surrounding the Princess Bride was fabricated by Goldman. (Just so you know, I already knew that the plot of story itself is fictional, but if you read the book, you'll understand what I mean about the "surrounding story.") The man is quite the storyteller, that's for sure. Ryan said I should suggest the book as a selection for my book club just to see if everyone else gets just as drawn into the story. Judging from the comments on various de-bunking sites, I most definitely was not alone. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only idiot on earth.

But then, I thought about how I could write about my latest dental woes. To put it mildly, I have horrible teeth. I brush, floss, rinse and do everything you're supposed to, but I was just dealt a terrible genetic hand in the dental department. My new dentist did a full work-up on me today and pretty much ordered me to go back to my root canal dentist for another root canal (it would be #5 for me) or something that sounds even worse than a root canal. I'll spare you the details, but it sounds about as much fun as spending time in a Turkish prison. On the upside, if I have to have it done, I won't have a problem losing those last seven baby weight pounds.

So, there you go: four potential posts, none of which is particularly witty or interesting. I'm hoping the blogging blahs dissipate soon, otherwise I just might have to blow my New Year's diet to get the juices flowing again and then I'll never lose those last few pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment