Friday, March 6, 2009

Food for Thought?

I'm set to host one of my book clubs week after next and I need some help with my menu. For the record, this book club leans toward "book themed" meals to add to the ambience of the discussion.

For example, for our Wicked discussion, we had key lime pie for dessert since the main character in that book is green. For Animal Farm, we had beef stew and breadsticks shaped like dog bones. The book we're reading for my date is To Kill a Mockingbird and I am so excited because it is one of my all time favorite books.

Since the book is set in Alabama, southern foods are a must. I'm thinking about having crock pot pulled pork as the meat since Scout dressed up as a ham at the end of the book. And I'm pretty sure I'll have both biscuits and cornbread available because you can't get much more southern than that. Sydney said she'd help me make banana pudding for dessert.

But now I can't decide what kind of vegetables to serve. Normally, I'd make cole slaw and potato salad, but those are really summertime dishes. I don't want anything too heavy (like green bean casserole) because the pork and banana pudding will be quite rich, but I can't think of any southern-style veggies that don't contain lard, butter or heavy cream. Also, I don't think I want to go overboard with the whole theme thing. The pork, biscuits, cornbread and banana pudding are probably enough for everyone to get the point. But, since I'm from the South, I don't really know what other kinds of veggies to pair with the foods I've already chosen.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment