Wednesday, September 5, 2007

One of Those Days

Did you ever have one of those days where so much goes wrong so early in the day you just want to crawl back into bed and hide under the covers? I'd like nothing more than to do just that.

6:15 am: After a night of my lovely insomnia I awoke on the couch (after a couple of fitful hours of sleep) to Ryan turning on the living room light and plopping Liam on the floor. Suffice it to say, I am not a morning person so this was not a pleasant start to my day. Ryan left for work leaving me to half-doze while Liam played with his toys.

6:20 am: Sydney decided to get up giving me an early start to my morning activities. I left the two of them alone so that I could go fix breakfast only to hear Liam wail thanks to his new found separation anxiety phase. I picked him up and set him on the dining room floor, hurried to hang up his favorite little jumper toy from Sydney's doorway and in my haste, accidentally knocked down the picture hanging above the door frame. With a broken frame and shattered glass all over the floor, Liam lunged toward the noisy, sparkly mess.

6:25 am: Liam got plopped back down in the baby-gated living room so that I could clean up the glass and he began to wail once again. So amidst the crying (and complaints from Sydney that she didn't have her breakfast yet), I ran to the kitchen to get a broom and dustpan. And what did I find, you ask? It was a kitchen full of smoke and flames leaping out of the toaster. I unplugged it and grabbed a glass of water to quench the flames when I remembered that despite being unplugged, water + electrical appliance probably still equaled a big no no. By then the fire had settled down to a flicker so I opened the smoke filled toaster oven and blew out the flame just in time to see the words, "In case of food flare-up, do not open toaster oven door" written on the appliance. Oh well.

6:30 am: So then I handed Sydney her breakfast, gave Liam his pacifier, turned on the Disney Channel and proceeded to clean up the glass. I cut my finger on one of the shards.

6:40 am: I examined the remains of my breakfast in the toaster oven and decided it didn't look too bad. I sat down to eat my very crispy English Muffin with peanut butter.

6:45 am: Liam started up with the separation anxiety fussing again and Sydney yelled that she couldn't hear her show so I scooped him up to sit on my lap while I ate breakfast and checked my e-mail.

6:50 am: I finished my peanut butter muffins and noticed that my pajama pants leg was warm. I looked down to see "poop juice" (if you're a parent, you know what I'm talking about) on the pants I had just washed yesterday. Sigh.

Skip to 9:40 am: Having gotten us all dressed and fed and Sydney to school, I took Liam to the pedi for his 9 month check-up. The receptionist asked me why we were there and when I told her someone called a month ago and rescheduled his check-up for today due to the pedi's August vacation, she told me that whoever that was didn't write down our name in the new time slot and we in fact, *did not* have an appointment set for today. I explained that Liam was now 4 days away from being 10 months and luckily they fit us in....two hours after we were supposed to see the doctor.

So now I'm home and trying to avoid everything that could possibly cause harm to me or anybody else. I will be so glad when this day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment