Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Je n'aime pas la Tour de France

Translated (for those, like me, who know more Spanish than French):

"I don't like the Tour de France."


In case you've been living in a cave for the last several years, you know that the Tour de France is a month long cycling race throughout, you guessed it, France. "Who cares?" you might ask. Well, my husband for one.

He is really into cycling and that's fine because it's great exercise and someday (fingers crossed), we might be able to do a small bike tour of part of Ireland. On a tandem bike, of course, so that he can do most of the work and I can just enjoy the scenery.

Anyway, I don't like "The Tour" as it's known in our house because despite the beautiful scenery shown during the coverage of the race, watching it is more boring than watching golf and tennis COMBINED. Really. Seriously. Boring.

And what's even worse is that there are several hours of coverage EACH day for an ENTIRE month. The new DVR I'm so in love with? Well, it's primary purpose thus far is recording The Tour. Hours and hours of it. And since we have the basic DVR, I can't watch anything else while it's recording. Well, I can watch something that's already recorded, but I can hardly record anything because The Tour is ALWAYS on (I'm not kidding - four hours of coverage shown three to four times each day). It's a Catch-22 thing.

Why not watch less TV you ask? Good question. Here's why (you didn't think I'd pose such a question without already having answers in mind, did you?):

Reason #1: It's a hundred degrees outside and I have two small children (the third is at school). We can only spend so much time outside before we melt.

Reason #2: I am not coordinated enough to be able to read and nurse Evan at the same time so what else is there to do besides watch TV for 20-30 minutes every 2.5-3 hours? And since Liam insists on sitting in my lap while I'm nursing Evan, it's really impossible to read.

Reason #3: I will admit that I use it to distract Liam while I unpack a box or two at a time. There, I've said it. I use TV as a babysitter occasionally.

I will be so happy when July is over. I'll get my TV back and I can finally say, "Au revoir, la Tour de France."

At least until next July.

No comments:

Post a Comment