Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Head Hurts too Much to Think of a Title

Ever been so sick that any sound makes your head pound (which, I think we can all agree is not a good thing when you've got three small children)? So sick all you want to do is curl up in bed with a good book (since the noise from the TV, even on the lowest volume, makes you want to scream), but you can't because the simple act of having your eyes open also hurts? So sick that you are begging for a visit from Death?

Yeah? Me too.

Sydney brought home some nasty bug from school and so far, only Ryan has escaped it's wrath. Of course, as I write this (at 4:30 in the morning because, oh yeah, my lovely insomnia decided to join in the torturous fun), he's probably soaking in all the germs I've left in our bed as a result of the rib-rattling hacking I've been doing for two straight days. Or he'll get it from one of the tissues he's found in various mounds throughout the house. It's definitely not pretty around here.

Luckily, Liam and Evan have escaped the fever portion of the virus. And I know it's a virus because I hauled Sydney all the way to the pediatrician's office (that is no longer just a few miles from our house) and paid a huge co-pay to be told so. "Clear liquids, lots of rest, acetaminophen & ibuprofen for the fever and pain," is what I was told. What I wanted to say in return?

"Well, duh. We've already been doing that for four days; believe it or not, this is not my first rodeo."

What I actually said?

"OK."

I'm such a wimp.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Sydney is finally feeling a bit better SIX days into the virus. So I only have about three more days of the "I'm cold - give me the quilt - now I'm hot - why isn't the fan on? - are you kidding with the fan? - where's my robe? - can you bring me some water? - and some ibuprofen - and some crackers so my stomach doesn't get upset" virus. Because joining the pounding head, the nose that runs like a faucet and the throat that stings from all the coughing, my old friend nausea (and its partner in crime which, like Voldemort, is so evil it must not be named) decided to make an appearance as well.

So Death is looking pretty good about now.

Not really. I don't really want to die. But a visit from this version might make me laugh a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment