Friday, February 1, 2008

Baby Boy Names - Help!

A while back, I mentioned that we were having a tough time coming up with baby boy names. Granted, picking names hasn't exactly been at the top of our "to do" list lately, but the last two times around, we were much further in the baby name process at this point in the pregnancies.

Mommy Daisy asked what kind of preferences we had when it came to names. I wasn't ignoring her comment, but I had to think about it for a while. I guess I'd say we like classic or Biblical boy names. We're not completely opposed to the trendier names that seem to be so popular today, but in the long run, we'd probably be happier with a classic name.

Plus, it seems like every time I turn around, there are little girls with boy names. In the last couple of months, I've seen little girls with names like Riley, Wesley and Ryan. And let's face it, if you name a boy Tracy, Leslie or Shannon (once classic boy names) these days, he's going to get beat up three out of every five school days. I'd really like to avoid that and I'm sure our unborn child (should it be a boy) would like to avoid that as well.

So, I turned to Nymbler for help. This nifty little tool takes the names that you like and generates a list of names that are similar in preference. Based on the three girl names and three boy names I entered (and these will remain a secret since we will be not be revealing the baby's name until it's born), I got the following recommendations:

Boy: John, Simon, Robert, Elliot, Peter, Benjamin, Sterling, Joseph, Zachary, Daniel, Jack, Curtis
Girl: Susanna, Sue, Leslie, Christina, Miriam, Sarah, Katie, Claudia, Tabatha, Clarissa, Kathryn

Unfortunately, I'm not all that thrilled with the boy recommendations. Sydney's name was going to be Benjamin had she been a boy, so that's kinda neat and I will admit that Zachary was on our list with Liam, but other than that, I don't really like their list.

As for the girl names, I do like several of them and will probably add them to our ever-growing girl name list, but honestly, I think we're pretty set on a girl name at this point.

So, my blog-reading friends, any opinions on a boy name? Something classic that won't turn into a girl's name or something Biblical? I will tell you that if it's a boy, then the middle name will be a Biblical name. How sad is it that we decided on middle names already?

No comments:

Post a Comment