Thursday, November 5, 2009

What I'm Watching

Now that the current TV season is well underway, I've had plenty of time to check out new shows and decide if they are DVR-worthy or not. Granted, I haven't watched episodes of all of the new shows (I don't have the time or desire to do so), but this is what I've come up with so far:

* Modern Family - This show is hilarious. It reminds of me a cross between The Office and Seinfeld, but with a focus on a large, extended and blended family. If you're not a fan of shows that make you cover your eyes out of embarrassment for the characters, this one is not for you. Julie Bowen and Ed O'Neill are particularly funny, although the entire cast does a great job.

* Cougartown - I wasn't so sure about this one. I really like Courteney Cox-Arquette, but the subject matter wasn't exactly appealing at first (older woman {and by older, I mean late 30's - which is scary since I'm not far from there} dates younger {in their 20's} men). While Cox is funny, I relate more to her stay-at-home-mom neighbor played by Christa Miller. I kinda wish the show was more about her.

* Eastwick - Eh. This one revolves around three women in a New England town who discover they have magical powers after a mysterious stranger comes into town. It's okay and it's something to watch at naptime, but I'm not going to be particularly sad if it gets cancelled.

* The Good Wife - Like Cougartown, I started watching this one because of the lead actress, Julianna Marguiles. I've been a fan of hers since ER. The premise is that Marguiles' character has to go back to being an attorney after her politician husband (played by cutie Chris Noth) goes to prison for corruption. This one is well-written and the actors who star in the supporting roles are all excellent, too, which is unusual for a drama.

* Community - Yuck. We tried to watch this one, but it was terrible. The overall plot is thin and implausible, the writing is not funny at all and the acting is terrible. I'm embarrassed for Chevy Chase - he deserves way better than this show. We only watched three episodes of this one. Talk about a huge miss for the NBC comedy night.

* Bored to Death - Another yuck. I only made it through one episode of this one. It is not funny and while I respect Jason Schwartzmann's dedication to taking "indie" roles, this one is not worth his (or my) time.


How about you? What new shows are you watching this season?

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, Jana, I haven't even heard of Community or Bored to Death! I wanted to watch Modern Family but I already have 2 shows DVRing at the same time and that is my DVR's limit. One of those has ended so I have time now...is it something you can pick up mid-season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran - Community is on NBC at 7 pm Thursdays and Bored to Death is on HBO at 8:3o pm on Sundays. I think you can watch old episodes of Modern Family on the ABC website if you want to catch up, but it seems like the kind of show where you can just jump right in and watch. It's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had almost given up on sitcoms, and was mostly waiting for something to be a several-years hit before I tried it on DVD. But I was DVDless the other night and felt like watching TV, and I flipped channels and hit on Modern Family without knowing what it was, and I was very nearly blown away. I haven't seen anything good like that since Arrested Development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Modern Family is great. Loving it.

    Cougartown & Community have both grown on me. And Eastwick I feel the same as you. It's OK, I watch it, but I wouldn't miss it.

    The other two I haven't really seen. I watched the first 10 minutes of The Good Wife. It was dry to start, so I lost interest. Your opinion make me want to give it another try. I wonder if I can catch some episodes online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. We need to live closer to one another so that we could get together, watch some tv and drink some vino. Modern Family is the funniest show I've seen in a long time. As for Cougartown, CC-A's screechy delivery of all of her lines bugged me when she was on Friends, but I just thought that was "Monica". Unfortch, she has the same acting technique on Cougartown, but I do love Christa Miller too! I can totally relate to her. Love The Good Wife too...I just can't seem to remember to DVR it. Boo.

    ReplyDelete